Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Ya ta ta ta ta Hollywoooooood......


Hollywood
Originally uploaded by jamesandthebluecat.
Well, maybe not quite. But the screenplay has worked its way up the chain of readers to the person at the top of the production company for which it was written, pretty much (not naming any names at the moment). This is sometimes referred to as 'tailored writing'* and it's pretty much an all the eggs in one basket situation, in that if that particular person/company decides not to go for it (and the chances are that's probably what will happen) you're left with lots of eggs and no basket. Or an empty basket. Or a basket of broken eggs. Either way, a nasty eggy smell.

I should hear in the next couple of weeks, but have provisionally agreed to fly out to LA (I've been there before, I'm allowed to call it that) for a meeting if it gets that far. I've also agreed to a much smaller budget for the film if it gets made, but that's, you know, not a problem. On a practical level, the screenplay is mostly centred around one location, and the SFX are, I hope, achievable on a low budget - going for atmosphere rather than spectacle. Think 'Sixth Sense' as opposed to 'Ghostbusters'.

I wasn't sure whether to write this at all, as the chances are very much agin anything happening, and talking about it at all seems like a sure way to jinx it. But on the plus side, I'm pretty scared of flying, so I don't go, it's still a win-win situation.

Must call Evans later, as she did some work experience for the very same production company, and I have worrying recollections of her describing the building's location as being between a strip bar and a crackden. So if I do go, I suppose at least that's the evenings entertainment sorted out....

More importantly, happy birthday Igo. And, I also like the speedy-up bits in GW, but only by about the third episode, when I went 'oh I seeeeeee! I think the Marty! Boycey! bit was when it all came together for me. I was worried it might put people off, but in fact people either grew to see why those bits were there, or if they didn't like them, they just sort of tuned them out. Like I do with annoying people.

No-one else gets birthday messages though. I'm not Gus Bloody Honeybun.

Reference for Spotlight viewers from the mid-80's there.

* Well, that's what Agent Ginny called it, about an hour ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo!

And to a greater extent: hoo!

Anonymous said...

I never really understood why people would be put off by the speedy-uppy-bits. I mean, sure, they're fast. But what isn't these days? fast food, speed dating, formula 1 racing... its our culture, man.

James Henry said...

That's enough sexy talk from you...