Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Repelling the Scots


Hadrian's Wall
Originally uploaded by jamesandthebluecat.
The Mighty Evans made it back from Hadrian's Wall, having successfully beaten off a whole bunch of ravening Picts, and thus saving England for another generation (and raised £533 for the British Heart Foundation). In the photo, TME is the one on the left. Or possibly the right. There were other pics, but I was requested not to use any of her 'sweating against a wall', which was a shame.

rathergood.com won a webby (or possibly two, I haven't quite worked it out yet), which seems like a good excuse to point people in the direction of the video for winners , new song by 7 seconds of love as guitared by the GW office's own Patrick. He lives on a houseboat, you know. And the online Guardian and bbc news got one each as well, so we can be gently proud of our nation this morning. I'm sure something'll go wrong by the afternoon though.

Gorgoeous pouting Ori will soon be gazing seductively into your living rooms, when her and Fay and the other two Bearded Ladies have their comedy lab broadcast as per this missive:

SPEEDING is going out on Channel 4 on May 11th at 11.30 pm (that's next Wednesday). So remember to set your video or stay up late. That way you will get to see Oriane playing a competetive woman with no sexual memory and Fay as a tactless woman who's worried she'll catch blindness.

More details at bearded ladies

So,while my friends have been clambering on monuments, being in bands and making comedy pilots, I have discovered a number of new white hairs in my vague goatee/beard thing. I only really shave for meetings, so I've gone all scruffy again. For a while I had a vampire goatee (it didn't show up in photos), and now I have a lopsided greying one. I'm hoping the wisdom will arrive any day now.

I have got some glass-fronted bookshelves though, which has always been a dream of mine. Unfortunately, my room isn't that big, so I've had to put them across the bottom half of my window, thus cutting off half the light, and it's starting to feel like I'm sleeping in a small, but rather crampled* library.

But mmm, glass-fronted bookshelves...


*I was going to correct my spelling here, but I quite like 'crampled', which suggests both 'cramped' and 'rumpled'. And possibly 'crampons', so we get the height thing in as well. Today I Made A Word.

Yesterday I came across 'havering', which is a Scottish word meaning 'blather' but which people tend to take as meaning 'vacillate' because of its suggestion of simultaneous 'hovering' and 'wavering'. But it doesn't. It means 'blather'.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Proclaimers used the word haver in their song 500 miles:
'And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you'.
just thought and mention that...

Anonymous said...

Damn, beat me to it with the Proclaimers reference.

I presume we'll be seeing the glass-fronted bookselves in a future episode of Toy-fu?

Anonymous said...

I have decided to let the slightly anti- Scottish tone of your last entry pass, after all it is your blog and you have to admire a man who can assert his Englishness while living in Cornwall! Do you not fear the wrath of the Cornish separatists? (I was going to say "Black and White Separatists", those being the colours of the Cornish flag but that conjured up too many images of some sort of bizzare right-on variety show!)
Anyway, I live in Edinburgh so no rampant Scottish Nationalism here. In fact had the architects of the Scottish Parliament upholstered the building in Harris Tweed in a nice inoffensive shade of beige they would probably have embraced it with open arms instead of moaning about it so much. No heart on your sleeve radicals here, thank you very much!
Anyway, I really came on to thank you for the word "crampled" which is both splendid and evocative. Also to applaud your mention of "havering" another splendid and evocative word and to offer you, as a small cultural exchange "fouter" (which means to potter about in a pointless, irritating fashion) and "slitter" (which means to make a mess, usually involving water or other liquid) It also sounds vaguely Viking-related I thought (reminds me of names like Olaf Skullsplitter). By the way, we have Vikings in Edinburgh at New Year for a torchlight procession and boat-burning Up Helly-A style!

James Henry said...

The charity gangsta limp is an image that will stay with me for some time - many thanks. And apologies for being unable to recognize you in photos - suppose I should have asked myself who was taking the picture...

Kirst- never knew that.

Steve - ah, reflections. No good.

Marsha - you'll notice I refer to TME saving England, not myself. Can't call myself Cornish (didn't move down here till I was 8), but don't really think of myself as English either. British is good, as it includes a sort of spurious Celticness you can wear if you're in the mood. Thanks for 'fouter' and 'slitter' - marvellous.

James out.

Anonymous said...

James, I feel ashamed of my pettiness and am resolved to be a better person from now on. As a further apology for my earlier chippiness, may I offer you a third, rather fabulous word?
Glaikit, which means "dim, stupid or uncomprehending"

James Henry said...

Glaikit - also sounds like quite a cool Dungeons and Dragons monster ('cool' in context, obviously).

'Lucky for you, the Glaikit's just foutering at present, so you've got two rounds to creep in and use your +2 slitter...'

(using one word correctly there, just to confuse the issue...)

Anonymous said...

James : Polarizing filters. Works for me.

;->

cello said...

You mean you have acquired *your own* Curious Cabinets?

James Henry said...

Ooh yeah. I'm trying to work out if I can put in concealed lighting...

James Henry said...

?

James Henry said...

Is that like 'dropping the kids off at the pool?'