Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Peep Show and The IT Crowd recommissioned

UPDATE: Re the lyrics of 'Desperado', Latigo Flint comes up trumps (see comment 31). Thanks Latigo.

hannah has pointed out:

(From Broadcast Freelancer)

Channel 4 has recommissioned Friday night comedies Peep Show and The IT Crowd.
The future of Peep Show had been hanging in the balance after the third series of the comedy dropped to an average of just 1.3 million (6%) viewers, despite an extensive marketing campaign.

C4 sources said director of television Kevin Lygo wanted to secure its stars David Mitchell and Robert Webb for a sketch show. However the duo will now return for another 6 x 30-minutes series of the sitcom. It is unclear when the fourth series, made by Objective Productions, will go into production or be scheduled.


Three loud 'huzzah's! And thanks to everyone who signed the online petition thing, which must have helped in some way. All of you are now officially both 'ace' and 'skill'. Good news about The IT Crowd too, which has had a mixed reception, but certainly deserves a second go. Also Richard and I had quite a long debate as to whether the rack of exceptionally geeky t-shirts in the empty office above Green Wing where we were writing (we were told to go and play somewhere we'd cause less trouble) were free for the taking or not. We decided not to steal them in the end, which was for the best as they turned out to be Roy's costumes, so things could have got awkward. Would have liked the Pacman level 256 one though...


I like to think The IT Crowd's 'even numbered ones good, odd ones not so good' formula was itself a homage to Star Trek. Comments about Star Trek: Nemesis will be taken into consideration.

14 comments:

Johanna said...

Yay, doubleyay! I really like the IT crowd. There are not many shows that I can connect to on a geek-joke AND an impractical-sexy-shoe-joke level.

Dave said...

I did actually watch and laugh at the IT crowd, but it seemed to remind me somewhat of a certain bookshop (same enclosed space, 2 men and a woman formula).

But that's probably just me.

patroclus said...

All the IT geeks I know really like the IT Crowd, because it's "so true". All the non-geeks hate it because it's "terrible stereotyping". I'm not sure what to think about this - especially because I keep missing it.

Hurrah for Peep Show, though. Even though I've only ever seen one episode of that, too. Must watch more telly.

Johanna said...

Oh yeah, that's kind of true actually. Same Irish accent too. Not that that's a bad thing.

James Henry said...

I think it needs a second series to break free of the 'Black Books' thing, which I agree, hang over it like a more glamorous cloud.

James Henry said...

Not sure that made sense actually, but never mind.

Kirses said...

i regard the IT Crowd as a documentary, but funnier. it always makes me laugh at work when people we support think we're clever, because generally we are a bit lazy, a bit stupid and extremely condescending...

James Moran said...

Star Trek "Nemesis"? What, is that a new movie or series, or something? Never heard of it. I'm only aware of 9 Star Trek movies. If they had made a 10th, I would have heard about it. Luckily, they didn't, because it might have turned out to be a horrendous piece of shit. Glad that didn't happen though, and that there was no 10th movie. Yep.

Abaculus said...

"Sure as eggs is eggs, sure as every odd-numbered Star Trek movie is shit." That's Spaced, isn't it? Another series that should return to our screen. Discuss.

James Henry said...

James - I see what you did there, and agree.

I think Spaced ended at exactly the right point. Apart from anything else, the series was really about what it's like to be in your late 20's, just before that whole 'having to grow up' thing kicks in (already ten years later than it did for our parents' generation). With the creators now firmly in their thirties, it would have to be a different show. I think there's a tiny bit in the Spaced special edition DVD where it shows Tim and Daisy, still in the house, but now holding a baby. I haven't seen it, and probably won't as I would cry big snotty tears.

Anonymous said...

I've never found that bit on the Spaced DVD, and god knows I've looked.

Fab news about Peep Show though, Mitchell n' Webb are going to have their own shows on both C4 and the Beeb then. Nice work.

Was the last IT crowd an odd or an even? because it made me laugh quite a lot.

patroclus said...

Re. Latigo's answer to the riding fences question: ahhh, doesn't it make you feel all warm and well disposed towards blogworld? It's just like a dynamic, global version of Notes & Queries*. Thanks, LF.

* whose potential Pash also investigated the other day. I expect we will shortly see Notes & Queries-type posts breaking out all over blogworld. Which can only be a good thing.

irony in motion said...

Pashmina - the Spaced bit is right at the end of the really long documentary of the third disc of the box set.

I wasn't all that impressed with The IT Crowd to start with, but I stuck with it and I have to say it's grown on me. (Also: are you meant to say "I.T." or "it"? They changed the way they said it in the adverts and now I'm really confused.)

Latigo Flint said...

Anytime James, glad to help.