Sunday, March 12, 2006

This is all a bit showbiz: sorry.

Went to the Green Wing Series Two press launch at the Bafta. For series one, someone put the tapes in a brown paper bag, slid them under the door of Channel 4 and ran away, and if there was a press launch, it consisted of getting a runner to colour-photocopy some GW postcards and chuck them out of a window in the hope they'd hit a journalist.

The difference of expectation for series two can been seen in the fact that I woke up the next morning thinking 'blimey, those rose petals get everywhere'.

Never been to Bafta before, but there's an online tour on the website (can't find the link, sorry), so I was familiar with the layout, and had already planned a number of 'safe points' - places to retreat and re-arm if during the evening the building were to be attacked by terrorists and/or zombies. Or indeed terrorist zombies.

Anyway, the room quickly filled with at least a thousand hard-bitten journo's, all wearing black, which I thought was a nice touch. I was wearing a washed-out stripey shirt, jeans and a goatee, as was Rob, so when later on we did a bit to camera for the C4 website, we looked like a nice gay couple, although clearly I was the slinkier younger one Rob had picked up at a bar somewhere, who had then ruthlessly worked my way through his contacts book and was now planning to leave him crying in a restaurant while my glittering career outstripped his. May have thought about that a bit too much.

We then got to see the first episode, which I hadn't seen before, on a huge screen ONE MILLION FEET HIGH with a sound system of ONE BILLION DECIBELS. That's all I'm going to say about it really, although I did laugh a lot, and occasionally one of my own lines drifted past, waving at me rather self-consciously, like a friend in a parade. Also, the actors have seemingly abandoned their previous commitment to naturalism and low-keyness, and have let down their hair down a bit, which is nice to see.

The only mini-review I've seen so far said that they thought the gag rate was a bit low, but possibly there was a lot of plot to get through**. Oddly enough, I thought the gag rate was very high, but there's a whole chunk in the middle where it's almost pure stream of consciousness, until the plot suddenly realizes it's gone to the wrong building and runs through the door, sweating heavily and apologizing to everyone. When it's on telly, I reckon probably video it, then at half-time go and walk around the block, or splash cold water on your face or something, and dive back in. Not sure what new viewers will make of it, but as has been pointed out 'Fuck 'em, they had their chance' (I don't think that was in the press pack though).

Afterwards, I saw an award-winning comedy doer and Shakespearean actress who is in Green Wing quite a lot, and who I know reasonably well (look, it's Tamsin Greig, okay? Just to clarify). What, I wondered to myself, would be the best way to greet her? Should I: a) slide gracefully between the lady from the Observer and another lady from that other paper and whisper 'my dear, you look fabulous', b) pretend to be on my phone, wave casually and smile wryly at all the surrounding nonsense, or c) flick V-signs until she notices, then shout 'Hello Stinky!'.

Yes, indeed. I did 'c'. I think there might be something wrong with me.








* 'Cooo-eeeee!' I love that joke. 'Camp followers' you see. Playing with words there.***

** Waves at Media Monkey.

*** Just realised I took out that bit, so * makes no sense at all. Ooh, this is like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Ish.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many congrats, no time to write anymore as on my way to a deserted island off the Pacific coast of North America. Only reading blue cat as you made my 5 "must check" web sites list. The others, if you're interested are, BBC news, Pajiba, Apple Trailers and IMDB. Cut it back to 5 to stop me wasting time wading through crap which, ironically, is exactly what I'm making you do now. Happy Sunday all...

Taiga the Fox said...

I'd love to say something (else), but I'm so jealous I can't.

Anonymous said...

you didn't know what to do?! of course, you should have gone past her and casually say on the phone 'see you in zurich'! that would've caught her attention, naturally.

by the way, were there any zombies attacking? that sounded rather in

Anonymous said...

...terestin. that's how it ended.

cello said...

By 'the lady from the Observer' do you mean Kathryn Flett? Because she clearly had a Mac crush for Series 1. Expect kind words of encouragement from her ... and the Radio Times lady.

James Henry said...

Ah, no I didn't spot her. She was very nice about GW 1 though. Mind, just because they liked the first series doesn't mean they'll like the second. And other than ep 1, I've only seen about ten minutes of series two, so it might be shit.* Clearly it all rests on how much of my material is in it.

Take that how you want.

I didn't notice any zombies attacking, but they were probably seduced by the free cocktails like everyone else. And I did get to chat to the mighty JRT, basking briefly in his ginger glory. He asked me for some tips on how to talk to ladies, as he's a bit shy. 'Just shout 'Hey Stinky' I said 'and they will be as putty in your hand'.


* I don't think it will be though, just to clarify.

Taiga the Fox said...

That's quite a stunning line. Do you offer the ladies some 'Stuffed Meaty Shoes of Jesus' after that?

James Henry said...

No, crabsticks had already been provided,

Anonymous said...

So it was all frighteningly "Luvvie", was it? Crabsticks are a sure sign of pending luvviness.

Anonymous said...

Slinkier? Than me? You utter bitch.

I've arranged a power of veto with Patrick regarding the interview, so it's okay, I'm sure the clone remarks will go.

James Henry said...

Keep the bit where we made loads of joking sarky remarks about actors, then realise Julian's on the other side of the curtain though. That was funny.

Steve - actually it was sushi I think, but crabsticks sounded funnier.

surly girl said...

nothing to say really. so i'll just make an envious "ooh" noise and get back to my crushingly dull 9-5.

bastard.

*mutters*

Dave said...

Did you check your flies this time?

Johanna said...

So when will they show us that "bit for the C4 website"?

James Henry said...

Possibly never, due to backround noise/hopeless pissedness. I'll say on t'blog when there's news of any fun bits.

James Henry said...

Also, Dave, yes, every thirty seconds. Which may have looked even worse, frankly.

Bearded Lady said...

can i just say that neither rob nor james are slinky in any way. they are both unslinky - in fact they are almost the total reverse of slinky - they are two solids in fact. fay and i are the slinky ones -sometimes we undulate we are sooo slinky. hope thats clear. they are both a bit gay though

JPG said...

Sorry I missed meeting you there James. I spent most of the (brief) evening with 2 of your rather gorgeous co-writers (not Rob).
I'm sure I would have loved your lines had I known which were yours, but mostly because all you writers did the most unbelievably brilliant job.

James Henry said...

Apart from Rob, obviously.