Sunday, April 23, 2006

Continuing the theme...

I'm definitely warming to the new Doctor Who with David Tennant in the lead role, although his impression of a well-read field mouse does make me think he and Richard Hammond should maybe consider teaming up to make CSI: Farthing Wood.

Top artwork, by the way, from David Peterson's comic Mouse Guard. Haven't been able to get the actual physical comic yet, but the art is great, and I'm going to be using it for when I take over Gamesmaster duties with my roleplaying group. I'm currently trying to persuade them that what they really want to play, instead of the standard elveses and orcses, is a band of viking mice, as that would help me develop the script/proposal I'm working on for a new kid's animation. Astonishingly they're going for it. Although I think the Druid character wants a wasp companion, which means paperwork, obviously.

In other roleplaying news, extensive perusal of roleplaying forum over at rpg.net has turned up long-missed "Harlot Table" from Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Masters Guide "City Encounters" charts (not made up):

01-10 Slovenly trull
11-25 Brazen strumpet
26-35 Cheap trollop
36-50 Typical streetwalker
51-65 Saucy tart
66-75 Wanton wench
76-85 Expensive doxy
89-90 Haughty courtesan
91-92 Aged madam
93-94 Wealthy procuress
95-98 Sly pimp
99-00 Rich panderer


'Trull'? I tried to get the insult 'thrupenny upright' into GW, but they weren't going for it. Apparently 'parrot's snatch' was funnier.*



* Bollocks it was.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought a thrupenny upright was a type of jam doughnut...

New and improved? said...

i thought it was a type of old bicycle, oh wait a minute.

Anonymous said...

Thrupenny upright sounds uncomfortable. I want to ask what it is but I'm afraid.

"Green-eyed panty monster" is one of my favourite insults from this series. It also conjures up images of a Yeti like creature in green pants. With eyes.

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, I was thinking about David Tennant & Richard Hammond last night. But not in a way you'd approve of I'm sure.

Swiftly moving on... it's about 14 degrees out & yet the Victoria line spectacularly manages to be 37 degrees. I envy you country types at times like these.

James Henry said...

I wish I understood temperature numbers. Is the first one snowing, the second boiling hot? Is one Celcius? I have no frame of reference.

I couldn't recite the months of the year until I was about fourteen, because I kept forgetting August. Occasionally I still try and put it after October.

Not sure what my point was.

patroclus said...

Maybe you're a pre-Julian (no swooning at the back, there). Like a Pre-Raphaelite, but with fewer Arthurian references.

Anonymous said...

i'll swoon whenever i want to, thank you very much.

soph said...

i was going to ask what you would have to do to achieve each level on the "harlot table".

on second thoughts, i won't.

Matt said...

Even if you should achieve nothing else whilst on god's green whatnot, you should be proud that a google search for "thruppeny upright" places you forth in the list. Possibly higher after this!

Tell your friends, tell your family!

Anonymous said...

Am I just the wettest person in the world, who got all gooey-eyed at Mac linking fingers with Caroline? Pathetic.

I also laughed hugely, and for no real reason at Sue White's pencilled on moustache...

Anonymous said...

'Whoever's was' the bench scene deserves a medal. A nice big shiny one. With 'I am God' engraved on. Embellished with diamonds.

Though, no medal for Holly.

James; I've long said Richard Hammond and David Tennant should join forces to protect the woodland creatures of Britain.

*Note: Not 'from' Britain. Though; probably a good idea considering this Avian Flu business, and what happened during the Foot and Mouth epidemic...

Anonymous said...

when i signed up to play the discworld mudd a couple of years ago they asked for a name for my character. being an unimaginitive backpacker and lacking in inspiration i selected "automatic name generation", "orkish name" in the "style of tolkien". one of the selection of generated names was "fagut" which i chose and played under copping LOADS of abuse from other players who thought i was having a swipe at those more sexual-orientationally challenged than myself. of course this is based on my strong personal belief that gay is wrong and straight is right. and black people have smaller brains. and margaret thatcher was good for britain. need i go on?