Sunday, October 01, 2006

Back in London


rubbish dragon
Originally uploaded by jamesandthebluecat.
I forgot to add this earlier, there were a couple of rubbish dragons sticking out of the top level of Tallin's Town Hall. I like them, I think any building would be improved by them, and I foresee half-hearted mythical knick-knackery nailed up all over town halls by the end of the year. Bagsy a one-legged Thor for Falmouth. Later this week I may go and balance a papier-mache basilisk on the pinnacle of the British Library . I've always wanted an excuse.

We forgave The Wanderer his wanderings in the end, as it turned out his phone had been stolen, and when he paid for a taxi to take him back to the ferry terminal to get the last boat home (the one we got), he was taken to the wrong terminal and had to sleep on plastic chairs for twelve hours. So he suffered enough without me being rude about him on the internet. The big twatter.

More news on Johnny Depp nearly getting the freedom of Falmouth: the town council turned him down on the grounds that it was clearly a big PR stunt by the film company and JD himself would know nothing about it, and were the council to offer JD said freedom, and be like, all 'we love you JD, come and shop in Smiths, and have a pint in Five Degrees West', and there's ample parking at the Gasworks and that', Johnny would be all 'Where? What? What are you talking about?' and the council would realise he didn't love them after all, and run home crying.

I'm paraphrasing, but that's roughly what they meant. Still he's welcome to stay at mine if he's desperate, I can move the boardgames off the spare bed and then we can go through comics together and I can show him which ones he'd be good at starring in the films of (Iron Man, and maybe even Doctor Strange, but I still reckon Jeff Goldblum would be best for that one).


Also, looking at that link thing, just noticed:

"...Falmouth town council member Mike Varney told local newspaper The Falmouth Packet: "I welcome the association with the film but that's as far as it should go. I do not like the idea of the council selling its soul just for publicity. There are many other people who are residents of Falmouth who are more deserving of such an honour and we don't want to impinge on the positions of freeman and honorary freeman of the town that already exist."


OMG!!! He means me!

This will come in very handy when I look for a new flat.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not British (hard as I might try, I'm afraid there's just no way I can wiggle back in time and tell my ancestors not to settle for little Singapore, but to row like hell to England), and I have no idea what "the freedom of Falmouth" would really entail, or what it's actually for in this day and age, but I must say it makes it sound like everyone who doesn't have the "freedom" title walks around in chains, dragging their very own cannonball along with them wherever they go.

James Henry said...

It's exactly like that - plays hell on the pavements.

Anonymous said...

If you get the freedom of Falmouth will you be able to walk into any house you like and set up residence or is it just being able to graze your sheep on the common and wear your sword in the town hall.

.....I do hope you have a sword

wetnailvarnish said...

The Falmouth Packet? What sort of newspaper has a name like that? It sounds like it may be a newspaper of the crap sort..

the whales said...

The Falmouth Packet?? You made that up, didn't you? Sounds like a euphemism.

"Pss. Fancy a Falmouth Packet?"

janey33 said...

Actually the "Falmouth Packet" is really rather good for a local rag. Considering the distinct lack of "old lady murdered for 40p" type stories in Cornwall, I wonder how they fill up their HUGE paper each week. Mind you, most of it is cricket scores, football results etc, if you play any sport at any time in Falmouth, sooner or later you'll be in the Packet!
ps Wasn't the Packet the local steam ship service James??

James Henry said...

Indeed - more info back here.

Spinsterella said...

Glad I wasn't the only one giggling at the Falmouth 'Packet'.

Also, 'big twatter' is a fabulous insult. I look forward to my first opportunity to use it.

cello said...

It's a very good job you are more handsome,clever and charming than Johnny D, James, just in case Patch is with you when he comes to stay.

James Henry said...

Very kind of you, but I think it best not to place Miss P in the position of having to make some kind of choice.

LoRi~fLoWer said...

Not having a proper accent, coming from me it would probably sound like Foulmouthed Packet...which is also a good name for a newspaper.

Anonymous said...

Apropos of nothing...

pippa and karl are on capital gold right now talking about GW- and Pippa is being lovely about the writers!

Having a vested interest,I could send you a clip of it, if you let me know an email addy I could send it to.

Anonymous said...

Isn't there a pub called the Falmouth Packet? I think I drove past it wonce and had a wee giggle.

Anonymous said...

Wonce? Sorry, i sometimes fall into the habit of spelling fonetickally.

Anonymous said...

how was it at the signing?
i hear there was screaming and -oh- fainting. because of you, surely?

James Henry said...

The signing was good fun - will post about it later.