Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Looky-loo!


greenwingscriptbook
Originally uploaded by jamesandthebluecat.
Green Wing Scriptbook! Available I think 22nd October, but it may change.

It's mainly a collection of series one scripts (dur), but there are other odds and sods as well, and photos of some actors, but who cares about them? Sadly the plans for a centrepiece pop-up Doctor Statham had to be abandoned, for financial and legal reasons, but it's worth a look anyway.

Of course some of use in the writing team are already published authors*, so I'm sure the other chaps will at some point feel the need to turn to me for advice on how to cope with the adulation, literary readings, autographs and such. Still, I think the shift in lifestyle will come as a shock to many of them, but really, what can you do?

While I was amazoning, I had a quick look at the reviews for the series 2 DVD (silly boy) and saw this...

"I'm amazed at some of the reviews for Green Wing series 2, its as if members of the show's production team have written them!"

...to which I can honestly say Not Guilty, but to honest, probably only because we're not paid enough. Also there's an apostrophe in "it's"**.


* I notice that second-hand copies of this masterwork are still available for eight of your earth pence, which as pre-school animation writers' contracts are traditionally drawn up by chortling demons in top hats, is still more than I got paid for providing the original script.


** Ha!


UPDATE: any spelling mistakes in this post are natural flaws that show the simple unrefined beauty of this product and as such, should be seen as vital and and a bit quirky and that, and not undermining my own points in any way.

Sorry for the lack of response to comment, have been without connection for ages, and am currently sitting in cafe in Chiswick try to type this before my battery runs-

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

'use' versus 'us'. I applaud your brave attempts to challenge our grammatical rules whilst slyly highlighting the apostrophe errors of others.

Hurrah Sir!

Anonymous said...

The British Sitcom Guide says that you're in the making of feature thing on the new DVD James?!? Is this true?

Series 2 DVD details

Anonymous said...

'Some of use', eh? Useless bloody writers.

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I was just about to comment on your use of "use" myself.

Have no money but have still preordered both the S2 DVD and the script book. Apparently food isn't a necessity at uni anyway.

Anonymous said...

Not to mention "but to honest".

Leaving aside the pedantry for a moment, I have to say, your Bob the Builder past is interesting. My brother told me yesterday that Russell Davies wrote a few ChuckleVision episodes. Is there an unwritten rule that bright young writing talent has to have done some hard graft on a childrens programme?! If so, I guess I better bash away at those Bodger and Badger scripts immediately and forthwith!

Anonymous said...

I promise I wrote that before your post came up, then the badger! Spooky black and white carnivorous furry mammal coincidence alert.

Anonymous said...

And I'd just mentioned Bodger and Badger on my blog, too. I've never understood his mash potato fetish myself. Mind that little mouse friend of his does look very tasty.

wv - crdwk - an assignment felt to be unsatisfactory?

Dave said...

I have managed to hold my pedantic misspelling-pointing-out habit in check for weeks now. I'm still trying.*


*In at least two senses of the word.

Anonymous said...

What more can I say, but that I absolutely loved this program. Even my daughter would come and sit with me and my husband in the evening to watch this. Please give me more.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that I and my immediate circle all thought Green Wing was the dog's bollocks with series 2 being just as good as series 1.
Mr. Realdoc who is a radiologist has a poster of Dr. Statham in his office. He is now the unoffical mascot of the Royal College of Radiologists.
So that sarcy reviewer can sod off and brush up on their grammar whilst they're at it.

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know there are other published authors on the team. Why, I myself wrote the text of a short strip cartoon in the "Fast Show" book and quite a lot of the 'no-one ever bought it and it's now out of print' "Not the Millennium." So you can stick that in your pipette and measure it.

Anonymous said...

Right; that's the book - now where is my James Henry action figure with poseable limbs so I can make him do funny poses, take pictures and post them on his very own blog?

Anonymous said...

I want GW actor and writer poseable action figures.
Make it so James.

mad muthas said...

er ... about the literary reviews, adulation, autographs .... speaking from bitter experience, don't hold your breath, eh? (oh, and if it goes into tesco, you can forget the fast cars and fancy houses too)

Anonymous said...

...and the legal reason not to include a pop-up Statham would be what exactly?

SAL said...

With all your insidery knowledge do you know which members of the cast are at the signing at Virgin Megastore next week?

James Henry said...

I'm clearly out of the loop on that one, as I didn't know there was a signing at Virgin Megastore next week...

Anonymous said...

Julian, Steve, and Pippa are supposed to be coming to the signing, and maybe some of the others, but not Mark.