Monday, September 18, 2006

Aaaaaaand there goes my new ipod.

That one lasted just three months, and ironically enough was apparently slain by the new iTunes upgrade, which tried to weave its magic spell on the beast, then quietly reported a bit of a problem and went away, embarrassed. The ipod is now utterly dead, impervious even to the restart pressy button trick which usually gets some response.

Fortunately I was prepared for this very moment (although I didn't expect it to come quite so soon) and purchased every warranty I could to go with it, so Argos are sending it away, just as I was about to go on holiday for a week*. I don't expect I'll get any of the files back off it though, the little blanc shit.

Don't buy ipods.


* which annoyed me, but then I thought that as I'm going away with other people, spending eight hours a day plugged into The Postal Service and choral (not acappella, I don't even know why I said that) covers of Foo Fighter tracks might be a bit anti-social anyway.


That, and my bed collapsing (I wasn't doing anything) and one-bedroom flats in Falmouth turning out to cost a millions pounds a month, and even then only available over the winter, as owners can presumably charge summer visitors two million pounds a month, and various writery problems that have made it clear with brutal clarity just how far down the food chain we are, and last week all went a bit sour really. However I'm off on the afore-mentioned holiday (first proper one for four years, lying in bed for weeks wondering where all the work is doesn't count, I've checked), so I'm expecting things to get better. And, you know, seeing people I haven't seen for too long and have missed terribly, blah blah feelings etc.

And this always cheers me up:

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have iPod woes too (they are rubbish aren't they?) and writerly ones. Nice to know I'm not alone at least.

Anonymous said...

Seems I'm not the only one who's had a bad week. Hope that the holiday cheers you up James

Anonymous said...

James - what the hell do you DO to those things?

I recommend you buy a walkman.

Awh hun, you have the Pod!Curse.

Fat Roland said...

The Foo Fighters / Scala track (not actually acappella, pedant, pedant) literally made me throw up onto my literal shoes.

Fat Roland said...

I'd like to withdraw that last comment. It feels SO wrong, but having heared their cover of I Touch Myself, I really like 'em...

Fat Roland said...

*heard* Bloody hell, Fats, I really hope that was a typo and it's not me turning into a hick.

I'm going to stop replying now.

James Henry said...

My brain went funny when I heard the 'I Touch Myself' cover for the first time as well...

I am an absolute sucker for choral/acappella covers of alternative songs, I would almost go as far as to say I have never heard a bad one. That said, Tori Amos should probably leave Nirvana alone though, she's nowhere near as good as she thinks she is...

frangelita said...

You knew the ipod would break. You brought it on yourself. It's the curse of pretty shiny gadgets. Don't go buying a nice chrome toaster either.

christ said...

Right back atcha with the Fry and Laurie, which is handy for my work with the Thames Water Authority.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DrJI7mTHQ

Anonymous said...

I have the ipod curse as well - am on my 4th replacement. When it went last time (last bleedn' week) I asked for my money back as my original 1 year warranty was still in force and the fuckwit manager said he could only offer me a partial refund "as I'd had the use of it for nearly a year"...

GAH! *head explodes*

James Moran said...

If you haven't already, check out Richard Cheese's covers - they're not choral, but they're very funny, deliberately cheesy Vegas lounge versions of alternative songs, like Rape Me, Creep, etc. You haven't lived until you've heard the polka version of Insane in the Brain.

christina@eastsidearts.org.au said...

AT LAST - "The Green Wing" is screening on Pay TV here in Australia. I saw my first episode last night. You're a funny lad alright. We did laugh ourselves rather sorely. The rotating plaster penis scene was hysterical. Cripes - I've never written THAT sentence before. Thanks for the laughs, you sicko.

LoRi~fLoWer said...

I heard Richard Cheese on a radio show a few years back. Too funny, well worth looking into. But I wonder if the "Richard Cheese" name-thing is as funny in Britain as it is here in America?

Anonymous said...

Have you heard the Roche sisters (three of them) doing the Halleluia Chorus acappella? Gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

And does your holiday mean that you won't be posting for a week? :-(

Anonymous said...

Sad news about the ipod - having read the horror stories I'm counting the days til mine gives up the ghost - although it's going to be a sad day. Do you reckon they'd give me 'compassionate leave' at work to go and get it fixed/purchase a replacement???

James, what's news with your phone/email problem - did you get a fancy new mobile with GPRS and wotnot? Hopefully something of better quality than aforementioned music playing device?

A
x

Anonymous said...

I've been dancersizing to my iRiver. I do recomend the iRiver (again) should you abandon iPodland.

James Henry said...

I was aware of Richard Cheese, but only got the joke inherent in the name this very second.

Still haven't solved the phone/email problem, hurrah for GW in Oz, thanks for all the ipod commiserations, much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the wonders of Fry and Laurie.

I have found that if your iPod dies (esp. if it has been in your possession for more than a year) it is worth it to change the battery. Although no one is willing to do it for you, so most likely you will end up having to pry open the gadget yourself, cursing and swearing under your breath as you go along. But since yours is pretty new, and under warranty, this is really quite irrelevant, isn't it?

Oh well.

Anonymous said...

I've had my ipod for over a year and it's been fine- why have I escaped the curse?

Anonymous said...

You've escaped it?

Oh - sorry! I therefore curse thee and thine iPod. Mwah ha hargh.

Twit said...

Simply being reminded of Mr Fry's existence cheers me up.

The man is a legend.

Anonymous said...

Buy a Sony Walkman (NW-a series) instead, they're marvellously robust, sound super and look rather 'snazzy' (a word I haven't used since about 1983).

Mystery Boy