Sunday, March 13, 2005

Fellowship of the Wrong


lineup
Originally uploaded by jamesandthebluecat.
These are my people.

They're not happy about it, I'm not happy about it, but there we are. I really wish I could remember which site I got this photo from (and I should clarify: I'm not in the pic - I just found it online and thought it was, frankly, marvellous). If anyone recognizes it, let me know. Every single person in this photo is a comedy genius. But I think the ninja might be the best.

If anyone out there ever wondered what Live Action Role-Playing was like, this video of a different group of LARPers will answer all your questions). But probably prompt you to ask a lot more(the video looks like it isn't doing anything for ages, but be patient.) There's also an updated version with special(ish) effects and a soundtrack by Slayer here , but I think the original really gets across the true fantasticness of a man throwing beanbags at another man whilst shouting 'lightning bolt!' (courtesy of Boing Boing).

I'm pootling around with a script about live-roleplaying at the moment (called, obviously, 'Fellowship of the Wrong', so don't steal the title, or I'll LIGHTNING BOLT you), although it's really sitting in a drawer until I decide what to do with it. I do think LARPing could make a great comedy drama series though, in that it's an inherently ridiculous thing to do that at the same time has its own strange dignity. There's just something about a bunch of people charging around the woods with plastic swords pretending to kill/be monsters that makes me hug myself with glee. Lightning Bolt man, I salute you.

9 comments:

patroclus said...

Fellowship of the Wrong - so good.

james henry said...

I am so very proud of that title. Almost worried about someone nicking it, but really, who else is going to write a comedy drama about live action roleplayers?

james henry said...

Although I've just thought to google it, and it has cropped up a couple of times before. Bastard mind readers - must be time to get a new tin foil hat...

Maus said...

which one are you on the pic then?

Andrew said...

Can I assume you've seen the Gamers? It's wonderful, although more about tabletop roleplaying with a splash of LARPing added in.

Oh, and Fellowship of the Wrong? Wonderful title!

james henry said...

Well, if I was in it, I'd be the ninja. But when I actually LARPed (the one time) I had a flowy green shirt and long hair, so I got to be Legolas long before it was fashionable. Although I was wearing trainers, which rather ruined the effect...

james henry said...

... because otherwise I would have looked really cool, obviously.

Hi Andrew - no, not seen The Gamers. Must get round to seeing it eventually though...

Maus said...

ah, you're not in the pic. Sorry- I get it now. Forgive me, I can't read any more. It's been a long week.

james henry said...

Yes, I've been reading your blog (obviously) and I'm amazed you're up this late, frankly. Go to sleep, little Maus...